Vocal settings for Fine art Pro VLA

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner interruption
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul xvi, 2003 7:36 pm
Location: Shoreditch
Contact:

Song settings for ART Pro VLA

Anybody have whatever favorite settings for vocalisation on these things? I'm however getting used to mine. I know theres not a whole lot of control attack/release wise only thought I'd inquire.


cgarges
zen recordist
Posts: 10890
Joined: Monday Jun 16, 2003 i:26 am
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Re: Song settings for Art Pro VLA

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 27, 2004 nine:twoscore am

I like it with lower ratios and not hit besides difficult. Attack and release characteristics can affect the apparent aggressiveness and are dependent on the specific song.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC


Verboten
gimme a fiddling kick & snare
Posts: 98
Joined: Wednesday May 07, 2003 6:49 am
Location: D.C.

Re: Vocal settings for ART Pro VLA

Post by Verboten » Sat November 27, 2004 i:28 pm

The not bad matter near the VLA is - you can keep it tame and un-noticable or you tin creepo information technology and make it actually apparent. I apply both quite a chip...

tame vocals - two:1, auto attack and release. I usually but hit information technology for one or 2 db compression.

squashed - v:1 to limiting, fast set on and motorcar release. Hither, I suash it as much as I tin can (without taking ALL the life out of it) and use quite a chip of brand-up gain. This gets a little noisy, simply it works the tubes nicely.

Of course, yer mileage may vary.


Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 seven:36 pm
Location: Shoreditch
Contact:

Re: Song settings for ART Pro VLA

Mail service by Jesse Skeens » Sat November 27, 2004 8:03 pm

Cheers for the info. When you lot overdrive the tubes exercise you just creepo the output as much as it can get earlier information technology clips the converters of your DAW?
I've been reading well-nigh people overdriving the output stage yet I seem to take to keep information technology around 0db otherwise I end upwards distorting my soundcard inputs.


cgarges
zen recordist
Posts: 10890
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Re: Song settings for Fine art Pro VLA

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:58 pm

You send information technology higher input levels to actually get it driving.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC


Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul sixteen, 2003 7:36 pm
Location: Shoreditch
Contact:

Re: Vocal settings for ART Pro VLA

Post past Jesse Skeens » Sat November 27, 2004 11:00 pm

Interesting. I suggested this might exist the case on hither before only a few people said its the output you boost not the incoming signal. This was before I bought the unit and so I couldn't test at the time. Thank you for the tip though Sick try information technology,


Verboten
gimme a little kick & snare
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 vi:49 am
Location: D.C.

Re: Song settings for ART Pro VLA

Mail by Verboten » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:l am

Yeah - when I said squash it - I meant setting the threshold really low and then bringing upward the brand-up proceeds to... uh... make-upwardly the gain. Every bit for hitting my DAW, well, I don't have 1 and I'm unremarkably doing this as an insert while I'm mixing or sub-mixing to another track.

The slight comp settings I'll usually use when tracking, tho'.


awolski
buyin' gear
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:57 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Song settings for ART Pro VLA

Mail by awolski » Tue Nov xxx, 2004 vii:00 am

For more than squashy goodness, I have enjoyed taking the output of aqueduct 1 and plugging it into channel ii, and outputting channel 2 into my recorder, while cranking the output of channel 1 and so information technology slams the input of aqueduct 2. Yum, imho.


Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul xvi, 2003 seven:36 pm
Location: Shoreditch
Contact:

Re: Vocal settings for ART Pro VLA

Mail by Jesse Skeens » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:28 am

Verboten wrote:Yeah - when I said squash it - I meant setting the threshold really low and and so bringing up the make-up gain to... uh... brand-up the proceeds. As for hit my DAW, well, I don't have ane and I'm commonly doing this as an insert while I'g mixing or sub-mixing to another runway.

The slight comp settings I'll commonly utilize when tracking, tho'.

You mentioned that information technology worked the tubes. So I thought maybe you meant the make up gain was doing this.


Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner interruption
Posts: 185
Joined: Midweek Jul sixteen, 2003 7:36 pm
Location: Shoreditch
Contact:

Re: Vocal settings for Art Pro VLA

Post past Jesse Skeens » Tue Nov xxx, 2004 8:29 am

awolski wrote:For more squashy goodness, I accept enjoyed taking the output of channel 1 and plugging it into aqueduct 2, and outputting channel 2 into my recorder, while cranking the output of channel 1 so information technology slams the input of channel 2. Yum, imho.

That sounds like a good plan.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.


User avatar

Rodgre
carpal tunnel
Posts: 1744
Joined: Friday May 30, 2003 three:19 am
Location: Central MA
Contact:

Re: Vocal settings for Fine art Pro VLA

Post by Rodgre » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:49 am

A cardinal point worth mentioning again is that this box, and the Levelar, don't have a ton of gain themselves. They're meant to be driven by something with a good signal, and if you want to take advantage of their "tubiness" so you have to hit them pretty hard, simply beingness careful not to clip the solid state electronics in them. Cranking upward the output proceeds doesn't brand the Pro VLA become more distorted.

Roger


cgarges
zen recordist
Posts: 10890
Joined: Mon Jun xvi, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Re: Vocal settings for ART Pro VLA

Mail by cgarges » Tue Nov 30, 2004 ten:20 am

Rodgre wrote:A primal point worth mentioning once again is that this box, and the Levelar, don't have a ton of gain themselves.

Well, keep in mind that even with the makeup gain fix at "0," there'due south a 4dB increase in the output when the unit'southward not bypassed.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC


User avatar

Rodgre
carpal tunnel
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 3:19 am
Location: Central MA
Contact:

Re: Vocal settings for Art Pro VLA

Mail service by Rodgre » Tue Nov 30, 2004 x:25 am

cgarges wrote:

Rodgre wrote:A primal point worth mentioning over again is that this box, and the Levelar, don't accept a ton of gain themselves.

Well, keep in mind that fifty-fifty with the makeup gain set at "0," in that location's a 4dB increase in the output when the unit's not bypassed.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

That's true. The Levelars, which I've used for years, always seem to need to be fully cranked in society to have enough level.

I was using the ProVLA on an acoustic track earlier this calendar week and I liked it a lot.

Roger


corinpills
ass engineer
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 vii:05 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA
Contact:

Re: Vocal settings for Art Pro VLA

Post past corinpills » Tue November thirty, 2004 1:46 pm

Intendance to share your settings for said acoustic track, Roger? I liked information technology, too.

This fuzzfaced bugger got the best acoustic guitar sound with the Pro VLA and a Shure Beta 57a. Information technology was really absurd. I retrieve his expensive mics and pres were a bit pissed off about it, just I loved information technology.


corinpills
ass engineer
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 7:05 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA
Contact:

Re: Vocal settings for ART Pro VLA

Post by corinpills » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:43 am

Yous see how Roger hides his hugger-mugger mojo VLA settings?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests